Le BAL Café x otto
Following the success of the weekend brunch/Frühstuck, the lunch format and the afternoon Viennese café in a coffee shop spirit, LE BAL CAFÉ OTTO awaits you in the evening for bold combinations of oysters and vodka/mezcal or a Viennese barbecue.
To keep warm this winter, Austrian chef Lisa Machian reinvents her dinner menu with palate-awakening tapas, spicy flavours and warm accents: dumplings stuffed with ground pork, pine nuts and sumac (a Lebanese spice), haddock on a bed of celery and horseradish, fried goat, beetroot and walnuts, mackerel and piquillo accras and of course classic wiener schnitzel served with potatoes, cranberry marmalade and aioli.
Combining influences from Northern Italy and Eastern Europe, Lisa’s warm, refined cuisine celebrates sharing. In that spirit, she unveils one of her recipes of the moment for you:
Helianthis Tempura by Lisa Machian
500g of helianthis (related to the Jerusalem artichoke)
The juice of one lemon
100g fizzy water
1 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate
A pinch of fleur de sel
1 jar of kefir (available in all good organic food shops)
1 pinch of zaatar
• Wash and scrub the helianthis with cold water. Cut into thin slices with a Japanese mandolin and drizzle with lemon juice.
• Whisk together flour, water, bicarbonate and fleur de sel in a bowl
• Heat oil to 160 °, dip the helianthis pieces in the batter, drain slightly and plunge into oil
• Fry for around 1 min.
• Remove and drain on a paper towel
• Sprinkle with fleur de sel and lemon juice
• Put the kefir into a bowl and lay the helianthis tempura on top
• Sprinkle with zaatar. It’s ready!
Serve with a natural Chinon
If you do not have a kitchen or a Japanese mandolin, the tempura awaits you at LE BAL Café Otto.* Enologist Benjamin Perrier will recommend which natural wine or craft beer to enjoy with your meal.
*Soon you will no longer have any excuses: in February 2018, Chef Lisa will open up her kitchen for classes on all levels.
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday : 12:00-22:00
Saturday and Sunday : 11:00-19:00, Brunch 11:00-15:00 (no booking)
Closed every Monday and Tuesday.
Reservation during the week : 01 44 70 75 51